Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Alligators

The Florida sun shines today. Yesterday I was on my own, my friends had to go home and my sis is still in meetings (no worries I like being on my own). I was dropped off in front of Gator Land about 11:00 am and could see wild birds perched on top of the buildings, paintings through the window. Hurry take my money let me in!

This painting is by M.S Barry a water color on canvas.Barry's work fills the gift shop walls and are very tempting with all the rich color and humor. But out in the real world.....
the birds move as if on a moving side walk only this one might have you for lunch.
Cute little Gray Catbird just a little smaller than a Robin.

"You lookin at me" Boat-tailed Grackle
Yellow-rumped Warbler gave me a great view for identification.
It was so fun to get up close on some of the birds for great shots. National Geographic here I come.

 I loved this painting.
 This is a beautiful boardwalk in the swamp. Almost no one was out there and I felt very alone and at peace. The trees made a different sound than at home a deeper hollow sound. The birds still moved around the same and did a great job of hiding from me.
They say that this is the headwaters of the Everglades 170 miles to the south.
I was thinking if I jumped I would fall into the ski.
The water is not deep but the soil under the water is black just perfect for reflection. I learned all about swamps today very interesting, I would love to spend more time in them poking around in a small boat well maybe a medium one to avoid snakes and alligators.

5 comments:

Brokenshirefamily said...

I'm so glad you're enjoying your time there!
I know that you had said the NW was the best for birding, still true?

Dreamcicle Journeys said...

Thanks for sharing your Florida photos. Love the birds. Enjoy your trip

Suzanne Reynolds said...

Looks like you're in your element--bird heaven! Don't get too chummy with the gators; we want you to make it home in one piece.

Curious Works said...

Wow, you took some great shots! How many hours did you get to wander around and soak it all in?

Dayna Collins said...

Fabulous photos!