Saturday, September 11, 2010

Super Santos and my laptop died.

I have spent the better part of a week working on this over sized Santos. Stephanie Brockway the curator of "Day of the Dead" show at Gaurdino Gallery in Portland invited me to make a special extra large piece for a window display and boy it has been fun. It started with the torso that is a antique phone box two little bells included. The torso gave me the dimensions for the head, I was not sure if it would be a male or female and I'm still a bit fuzzy about it but I'm leaning toward male.
Here it it photographed on white and at an angle for the show card.

His legs are 1940's split wood crutches with size 10 wooden shoe stretchers, the base is a piano stool top. I made the rosary out of bingo balls and his arms are legs from a claw foot stool. There is a small shelve to light a candle and make your day of the dead prayers. Hie crown was fun to make and Steph's idea to make it from an old metal tape measure that I riveted together and soldered a copper cross to the top.
If you click on the photo it will enlarge so you can see the details, I had photos but last night before I got them into blogger my laptop got a bug a died. I think it got me as well because it made me just sick I hope I can retrieve all my paper work and photos. I will be posting the dates of the show and address as soon as I'm back up and running.

5 comments:

Talie said...

Of all the 'breaks', you have them!
Love your giant Santos and so will the gallery. Great Job!!! Keep it up kiddo, Love, A.T.

Curious Works said...

So cool Tory! How tall does he stand?
Sorry about your computer...I'll say it again...you need a mac!!!!

Dreamcicle Journeys said...

Your giant Santo is fabulous. Congrats on being featured at the Guardino Gallery. You never cease to amaze me with your creativity. Hope you get your laptop fixed and retrieve all of your information.

Alice said...

Love it! We can't wait to go to the show and see it in person.
Can't wait to see you in any day now!

Dayna Collins said...

Your Santos has turned out amazing! I can't wait to get to Guardino Gallery to see the entire show.