Monday, August 3, 2009

Bracelets and Baby Birds

During the hot weather I made a few bracelets, I just love taking out the boxes of beads and fingering all the different colors. I feel like I'm looking into a pirates treasure chest. At the beach my mom and my cousin Barb spent hours sorting colors for me, now I'm a well organized pirate thanks to them.

All the beads are glass and come in a variety of sizes. This one is summer colors.

Amber's are so rich and blend into the nest. My favorite.


I'm ready for fall these beads look like juice red berry's.

And two red ones are ready for...... can't say it.
I learned a new style at the coast, flat very simple but also very very comfortable to wear.

And the lot of them.
LOOK WHAT I FOUND__________ I was talking on the phone with a friend and decided to look in the garden while talking for a Robins egg shell or a discarded snake skin some little gift from nature. I went to a shrub that I new a bird had nested in last year and saw a new nest, I went in to take a close look and to my surprise it was full.

They are not asleep but hoping that the monster will go away. Do click on the photo to enlarge, you can see the yellow fold on it's mouth. And my favorite is the wee bit of fluff on the top of their heads. Also look at the spider webs used to make her nest.

And in this one you can see the feathers just coming out of the quill. These are American Gold Finch babies. If you are not keen on birds stop reading here.
American Goldfinches breed later in the summer than most songbirds. Their breeding is timed to coincide with the peak abundance of thistle seed. They often nest in loose colonies. The nest is located in an upright fork of a shrub, tree, or occasionally a dense weed. The female builds a tightly woven, compact cup of plant fibers and spider webs and lines it with thistle-down. The female incubates 4 to 6 eggs for 12 to 14 days. The male brings her food while she incubates, and while she broods the young for the first few days after they hatch. After that, both parents bring food to the young. The young leave the nest after 12 to 17 days, but the parents continue to feed the young for a few weeks. American Goldfinches generally raise one or two broods each year.

2 comments:

Suzanne Reynolds said...

Wow, you made good with your time in the hot room. The bracelets are colorful and fun, really nice. I'm loving your bird photos and the birdy info, too. My hubby put up a hummer feeder while I was gone last week.

Anonymous said...

Love all the information I learned about the birds and your bracelets are colorful and fun! Lenall Siebenaler