Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Sparrow

Today as I worked in the studio I heard a great bang on the window and new at once it was a little bird, one of the many Sparrows that live around my house. This time of year they nest under my windows in the low bushes, they scratch at the ground and sing the most beautiful songs you have ever heard. So you can imagine how I felt to find this beautiful creature dead at my door step. I wanted to honor it in a small way. The English daisies grow in the grass and the poem was suggested by a friend, it’s odd how the little things can touch your heart.
Sparrow


Who will love a little sparrow?
Who's traveled far and cries for rest
"Not I", said the oak tree
"I won't share my branches with no sparrow's nest
And my blanket of leaves won't warm her cold breast"

Who will love a little sparrow?
And who will speak a kindly word
"Not I", said the swan
"The entire idea is utterly absurd
I'd be laughed at and scorned if the other swans heard"

Who will take pity in his heart?
And who will feed a starving sparrow?
"Not I", said the golden wheat
"I would if I could but I cannot I know
I need all my grain to prosper and grow"

Who will love a little sparrow?
Will no one write her eulogy?
"I will," said the earth
"For all I've created returns unto me
From dust were ye made and dust ye shall be"
 Simon And Garfunkel click to hear lyrics
PS.
Not to worry I'm not hung up on dead birds it was just a coincidence.


No comments: