Saturday, February 27, 2010

Art & Soul class projects and fun!

I went to Las Vegas for Art & Soul but arrived four days early to visit with my daughter Melissa who now lives in Alabama.We met for some fun and site seeing.
Everything is over the top in Vegas, even the art supplies.


I really enjoyed all the details the hotels decorate with, the faux finishing is outstanding, water features are unbelievable, indoor city's boggle the mind.

Melissa and I went to the top of the Eiffel Tower and saw the water show at the Bellagio, it was windy and cold but worth the view of Vegas at night.

And here we go you know the line "what happens in Vegas.......

....and thank goodness they will all stay in Vegas". I talked to some of them about being a street performer and was surprised to find out that they actually make a fair amount of money. The gold woman said some days only $40 but others and most can be as much as $300. Little Elvis top left probably makes more he was really working the crowd.


NOW FOR ART & SOUL.........
Thomas Ashman taught this "Tiny Glass & Copper Journal" class. I really had fun making it and playing with metal. And you all know how much I love copper and gnarly old patinas.


I had two classes with Richard Salley "Enameling 101" and I can't believe that now I'm hooked on yet one more art form.

Copper, glass powder and heat, that's it and you have beautiful color and a new layer to add to your arsenal.


His other class is "No Solder Bezels" this technique is a dream and not hard at all. The piece with the turquoise was more of a challenge and also includes faux bone. I think it may go on a leather journal.


And my last class was with Susan Lenart-Kazmer "Altered Surface Charms-Jewelry" . It doesn't look like much but I learned a great amount, like how to melt the silver wire with out creating a heat sink or burning up the paper next to the flame, priceless ! I did make some of the charms but will finish them later, in this class I learned how to use all sorts of jeweler's tools and as usual now I would love to own them, not a good thing.
I do what to say a big THANK YOU to Tammy Vail, without her gift I would not have had the classes and I really did enjoy them.

2 comments:

Curious Works said...

Looks like you had a blast!
Melissa looks beautiful, as usual.
Love all the stuff you made.

Dreamcicle Journeys said...

Tory, it sounds like you had a wonderful trip and Melissa looks great- it's nice to see her again even if its in a couple photos. Can't wait to see what you made in person.