Friday, March 27, 2009

Illuminated Cut Paper

What art offers is space - a certain breathing room for the spirit. ~John Updike
Here it is the idea for making the paper cuts. I took old 78 records (the real heavy ones) for the plate to set the (star) book on. One record to set on top, a string of fairy lights with the cord coming out of the base part of a piano stool. I was lucky it was hollow then it all sits on an up side down metal plate from Goodwill that I drilled a 1/4" hole in to bolt the entire thing down. And on top a finial that cost the most $2.49, all the rest I had in the house. Can you figure out how the shadows are there?

The clue is with the girl bird watcher.
I have had so much fun doing this I must remember how lucky I'am to be able to. And so I think of John Updikes words again they are so true for me.
What art offers is space - a certain breathing room for the spirit. ~John Updike


No comments: